Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Happy Little Ghosts

These little ghosts were so fun to make. I wanted to decorate differently for Halloween this year then I did last year. So....with a little inspiration from my Grandma, I decided to make up a bunch of ghosts to hang on my front porch. This is how I made them.

The Supplies:

I already had five t-shirts that I was going to get rid of anyway and I already had the white thread.
The rest of the supplies I bought at Wal-Mart. The bag of Raffia was $1.97 and I only used a fraction of the bundle. The Styrofoam balls were 2". I bought two bags at $4.47 each. The paint pen in black cost $1.97.

Step One:

Lay the t-shirt on a flat surface and cut all of the white off. I was able to use the entire back of the shirt but the front had a large logo in the center. I was only able to get one rectangle from the front. The back was more lucrative with three rectangles. That makes four ghosts for each of the t-shirts that I chose.

Step Two:

Take the Styrofoam ball and wrap it in the cut rectangle, centered as even as you can but it doesn't have to be perfect. :)

Step Three:

Cut a long piece of white thread and tie it around the "neck" of the ghost. I didn't measure the thread because I wanted them to hang at different lengths. Tie the ends of the thread in a knot to make a loop for hanging.

Step Four:

Cut a length of raffia and tie it in a bow around the "neck" of the ghost. Again, I didn't measure it. I just made a bow. :)

Step Five:

With the paint pen, which was a fabric paint pen, I painted two circles as eyes. I did not put on a mouth because I didn't want to. But....to each her own. paint a mouth if you would like.

Step Six:

I bought these little clips after Christmas last year. They were normally $3.99 but they were on clearance for $0.50. They are meant to hold Christmas lights from the gutters or shingles on your house but I thought they would work perfectly for my little ghosts.

The Finished Product:

With a little help from someone taller then myself, this is how the little ghosts look all together hanging on my porch. I am so happy with them. I think they go well with the ghost "kid" that I have had for years.

Even though I didn't get this idea from Pinterest, I have done many, many crafts that I have found on that very addictive website and I will be blogging about them in the near future. I hope that you enjoyed my little ghosts and, if you try them, I hope that they make you as happy as they have made me. :)

1 comment: